We have all encountered people who drain our energy, right? Whether they know it or mean it, they suck the life and light out of a room and out of people. They go through life with a grey cloud over their head (and not nearly as cute as Pig Pen from the Charlie Brown series). They complain, moan, groan, find negativity in every situation, gossip, say negative things about others, judge, criticize, and frankly find little or no joy in the world. Yikes … who would want to live like that? You were not brought in to this world to be miserable or to make others miserable. And you do not have to tolerate that in your life.
Yesterday, a person of authority told a subordinate that she was not liked by anyone. This person is generally uplifting and positive so I suspect it was said under stress. When I heard this, it took all of my energy to elevate this energy vampire victim back to a place where she did not feel like climbing under a rock. Didn’t our moms tell us if you don’t have anything nice to say, zip it! Not only was this statement inappropriate given the authority position of the speaker, but it was said at a time when both are under an unbearable amount of pressure and should be aiming to stay positive. There was no point to saying such a cruel thing to this person, and the timing of it could not have been worse.
For many people, it seems like we get negative comments or criticism at a time when we are feeling down, right? And that is precisely how the energy vampire works. They sense vulnerability and move in to drain you even further. Energy vampires generally think very little of themselves, are internally miserable and believe that misery loves company. So they go through life recruiting people to join their pity party by spreading negativity and bringing people down. Don’t get me wrong … many energy vampires have no clue that they are sucking the life out of people around them. They have no self-perception or awareness of their conduct. So feel bad for these people. Regardless, it does not mean that anyone should fall victim to an energy vampire.
So how do you detect an energy vampire? Look for these signs:
- criticizing others behind their back
- only seeing the negative in people or situations
- drama queens who exaggerate situations
- passive aggressive actions and comments
- praise veiled in criticism to self or others
- rude comments
- general nastiness
How do you deal with energy vampires knowing that they are floating around you?
- When you see an energy vampire coming, move in the other direction. Avoiding an energy vampire is your best protection. If an energy vampire is your boss, limit contact as much as possible to short intervals so that you can recover between attacks.
- Don’t let an energy vampire corner you without an escape plan. If an energy vampire is hovering in your office door or space and you are cornered without a 2nd door to run out, make up an excuse to have them leave (i.e., I’m sorry, but I have a scheduled phone call; we’ll have to talk later because I’m on a deadline for this project; or physically excuse yourself to go to the restroom).
- If you live with an energy vampire, either have a serious discussion with them about their energy and what it is doing to your health and wellbeing, or leave the situation. Do not continue to be a victim because that is exactly what energy vampires crave.
- If you are drawn in to a conversation with an energy vampire, immediately visualize a bubble of white light surrounding you. Even consider calling in Archangel Michael (our angelic protector) to surround you and protect your energy field.
- If you receive an e-mail from an energy vampire, do not respond. Do not engage in the energy.
- Stay grounded. You can do this in several ways. Go outside and literally sit/stand on the ground, or sit leaning up against a tree. Wear grounding crystals such as black tourmaline, shungite, or labradorite. When you are grounded to Mother Earth, you connect with her vibration which is pure and uplifting.
- Raise your vibration. Energy vampires tend to avoid people who have high energy vibrations. Check out the articles on my Member-Only Page (sign up in the box in the right column of my website) on how to raise your vibration. Practice gratitude and surround yourself with things that make you happy. Wear high vibrational crystals such as angelite, celestite, selenite and rose quartz. Get frequent energy healing sessions to recalibrate your energy field.
- Understand that the energy vampire is in a toxic place, so send them love, positive energy, light, rainbows, leprechauns, angels, kittens, puppies, daisies, tulips and any other joyful thing you can conjure.
- Do not get mad at the energy vampire; instead, visualize them as a hurt 4-year-old child who does not know how to process their anguish. Energy vampires are aching inside and if you can understand that, you will react less to their energy, which will keep your energy field safe.
- And if you’re like me and feeling really bold, after an energy vampire unleashes their venom, I always like to say “Now tell me something good.” That usually sends them away.
Do you have other techniques that have worked with energy vampires? If so, please share!
Wishing you an energy-vampire-free day!
All my best,
Join in on our conversations!
2 thoughts on “Get out the garlic: Energy Vampires at Large”
Hello. I found this article so meaningful as I have a mother in law, J, who is an energy vampire. She lost her daughter 6 years ago in a tragic accident which has worsened her behaviour even more. My husband refuses to deal with the problem but as I have just had our first child, it has become more crucial than ever to achieve protection for her and myself from J.
I am studying to be a doctor and so an dedicated to healing but as a healer I need to be very responsive to patient energy. I am just finding it so hard to deter J’s energy withdrawals from my energy pool. I still want to ‘feel’ and don’t want to resort to denial and acting ‘numb’ towards J as my husband does. I do empathise with her and want to help her but it feels more and more that it will be to my expense/detriment.
Please help if you have any advice re this sort of thing.
Hi Kelly – You’re not alone in dealing with energy vampires. And sadly most people have no idea how they are zapping the energy of the people around them. J must be in terrible pain from having lost a child. Have you considered a one-on-one discussion with her where you gently talk to her about how you want her to have a positive relationship with you and your child and that you are greatly concerned that the loss of her child has put a dark blanket around her? If she is open to healing, maybe offer her a gift of a healing session with a certified practitioner to help her remove the grief that must be embedded in her energy field. If you come to her with an offer of giving her relief, from what must be the most terrible thing that a parent can encounter, then she may be receptive. Let me know if this works.