So how is Monday morning treating you these days? Do you start feeling anxious and stressed on Sunday? Do you wake up tired and unmotivated Monday morning? If you answered yes, how you are spending your time during the week could be the reason. Don’t worry … there are solutions available!
About 70% of workers are disengaged in the workplace which means that they are not reaching their full potential and could be at risk of losing their job, which no one wants (2010-12 Gallup Poll, State of the American Workplace). The study found that those who are engaged at work are the lifeblood of a company, they are involved, passionate, committed, they show up (physically, emotionally and mentally), they are positive, helpful, and go beyond the call of duty. They are also the least likely to take a sick day, a mental health day, or complain. And they are the healthiest of all employees, too. We all want to work with those sort of people, right?
So are YOU that sort of person? Or is your workplace making you feel unhealthy? Here’s how to find out!
- Does your workplace drain your energy?
- Does the physical environment leave you feeling physically exhausted by the end of the day?
- Do the people around you drain your emotional energy as soon as the day begins?
- Do you have mentally intense work and suffer from brain fog that depletes your energy?
- Do you wake up, scramble to get to work, go home exhausted, and stay busy until you collapse into bed?
- Do you dread Monday, start to slump on Wednesday, then Thank God It’s Friday, only to spend the weekend busy running errands and doing stuff for the kids, only to get back to Monday exhausted just to do it all over again?
- Do you feel like your body and emotions are on a rollercoaster because you hype up during the day with caffeine and energy drinks, and then take pills or drink alcohol to make you sleep?
If you answered YES to any of those, you are likely experience workplace fatigue. It’s a reality for far too many people. We’re working so that we can have a life, but we have no life because we are working and don’t feel well. EEEEK!!! There has to be a better way.
So what can you do that will keep you energized and focused during the day, keep your emotions boosted and happy, keep you calm when there are deadlines and stress, and help you have a natural good night’s sleep?
Workplace Wellness with therapeutic-grade essential oils (not fragrance oils) is an area that I have been focusing on in recent years. I have tested these recommendations on myself when I was working outside of Washington D.C. in an office full of attorneys, constantly traveling, and super stressed out. I’ve tested these on many others in different industries from veterinary clinics, to animal shelters, to insurance companies, to large offices and small offices.
Through my work in the energy therapy world, I have researched the energetic aspects of essential oils (it’s really fascinating). So here is a listing of my favorite Young Living essential oils and if you want to know the reason how and why these recommendations work, click here to access a short online class:
- Oils for Focus, Concentration and Memory = Lemon or Peppermint
- Oils for Stress and Anger = Lavender, Orange, Bergamot or Stress Away
- Oils for Chaos and Crisis = Cedarwood, Cypress, Frankincense, Palmarosa, or Peace & Calming
- Oils for Positive Mood and Happiness = Geranium, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Orange or Joy
- Oils to Relax and have Good Sleep = Frankincense, Cedarwood, Idaho Balsam Fir, or Idaho Blue Spruce
But is this really doable in an office? What if you get objections to using essential oils in your work space? Here are some recommendations:
- If a co-worker complains of allergies around scents, chances are they are reactive to toxic smells but will not react to a therapeutic-grade essential oil. Dr. David Stewart states, “There are a couple of ways one can be sensitive to essential oils, but an allergic reaction is not one of them. Allergies are erroneous immune responses to proteins, peptides, and amino acids – all nitrogen compounds, none of which are found in essential oils.” Now if you are using an adulterated essential oil (containing undisclosed ingredients or toxic growing and distillation processes), you can have a reaction because of the adulteration. Most people are reacting to toxic scent – like lavender scented products. “Allergic sensitivities are due to the body developing antibodies in response to certain nitrogenous molecules. No one has ever found antibodies in humans from essential oils. So if one has a reaction to an essential oil, it is something else. Not an allergy.” (Sensitivities to Essential Oils by Dr. David Stewart) To be respectful yet not deprive yourself of the benefits, try wearing a diffuser necklace where you can add a couple of drops of oils or get a USB diffuser that plugs into your computer.
- Try wearing ONE drop of essential oil topically which will infuse every cell in your body with the benefits. One drop is usually very subtle to others but will be very powerful for you. Pick a softer smelling essential oil like Geranium or Bergamot which are very uplifting and happy oils!
- Take a hand-held diffuser to work. You can pull it out and mist the essential oils directly on your face when you need a boost! I do this on airplanes and it’s never disrupted the person sitting next to me.
- If you have your own office with a door, bring in a diffuser and close your door when you are diffusing. I loved doing this and would find most of my staff coming in to my office because they just wanted to inhale the oils! 🙂 I would run the diffuser with Lemon essential oil when I needed to be laser focused on writing or reading.
- If none of those options work, drink your oils! There is an ENTIRE line essential oils from Young Living that are approved for dietary use! So instead of diffusing Lemon, drink your Lemon Vitality oil! Click here to check out the entire Vitality line of oils! But please do not drink an essential oil unless it’s labeled for that use.
- Another option is to have a diffuser for your car so that you can enjoy the benefits of essentials oils BEFORE going to work and when you are driving home! If you live in a populated area, the stress of gridlock traffic can be far worse than anything in the office. Diffuse like a wild and free spirit in your car!!! This is my favorite car diffuser.
To learn more on this topic, click here to access my online class. Most of us spend half of our waking hours in the workplace and there ZERO reason to dread it when you can support yourself with Young Living essential oils. I encourage you to give one of these recommendations a try and I know that you will feel better. Because when you feel well in the workplace, that wellness will spill over in to the rest of your life!
P.S. If you are really struggling with your work, for whatever reason, and you know it’s time to find enjoyable work that you’re passionate about, where you get to help people (and pets) every day, that you can do from home or from any location (hello beach work!!!), so that you can raise or homeschool your children, avoid lost hours during a stressful commute, work the hours that you want, work with the people of your choosing … then I invite you to watch this online class. I changed my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health when I took a leap of faith and moved ALL of my work to home-based businesses, including Young Living. What I love about Young Living is that it completely transferred 100% when I moved from Virginia to Michigan in March 2015 (none of my other work did), it has grown consistently month after month, I get the pleasure of educating people and showing them how to buy essential oil wellness products (I don’t sell or have to keep an inventory), I help them find what works for them, and I can help pets in ways that other methods have failed. It’s been transformative and FREEING I would love to have you in my team so that we can do this TOGETHER! So check out my class and contact me with questions!
About Allie Phillips: