As we continue to live in challenging times, the one thing that I hear is “we have no control over what is happening in our world and I feel so helpless.” I get it … but I’m here to tell you that YOU have more power and control than you may realize.
We are experiencing many challenges when it comes to our physical health. And that is putting stress and pressure on our emotional and mental health. And then we are being bombarded with energetic changes. Put it all together and #hotmess sums it up pretty well, right?
But you actually have power and control over your health & well-being, along with your family and pet(s) health and well-being. Because what you feed yourself (food, thoughts, emotions, and experiences) will determine your health and well-being.
If you’re like me, when you’re doing something proactive, you feel more confident and happier rather than waiting for something or someone to come to the rescue. And right now, the only rescue that can happen are the steps that YOU take. Ready?
My Top 10 Lifestyle Techniques
There are things that you can do daily that will help you regain control and joy as you maintain or improve your health and well-being. I want to share the top 10 things that I am doing daily and how it’s helping me thrive in all areas of my life no matter what is going on around me.
- Food = Be intentional about what you consume. Make sure it’s real whole foods and organic if possible because it will give life and energy to your body. There are too many toxins being put in food and sprayed on products. That beautiful strawberry may actually harm your health if it’s sprayed. Spending a little more money on whole foods that are organic will save you a lot of money down the road in lost wages and high medical bills due to illness. While white sugar, white flour, genetically modified wheat and processed foods will harm you from the inside out by creating inflammation. If you find yourself binging on junk food during stressful times, let’s work on stress levels (see below). But in the meantime, why not retrain your taste buds to crave veggies or other whole organic foods during stress? A few years ago I forced myself to grab organic greens (brussel sprouts, broccoli, leafy greens) when I was stressed and IT WORKED! And that’s now what I crave when I’m comfort eating.
- Water = It is important that we drink half our body weight in ounces everyday with filtered/purified water. Drinking water throughout the day (every 20 minutes take a sip) can flush your throat of viruses that want to enter the body that way. And water helps our bodies to eliminate toxins. What I love to do is add a drop of Young Living Lemon Vitality essential oil (a safe dietary essential oil) or Young Living’s Vitality Drops in Bergamot-Grapefruit that also contains beneficial electrolytes. I now crave water more than ever before!
- Stress = Keeping daily stress at bay is really important for so many reasons. For your physical health it reduces binge eating, digestive and cardiovascular stressors, sleep issues and so much more. For your emotional health de-stressing techniques can calm the emotional rollercoaster that can result in physical issues. For your mental health it helps you focus on what is important in your life. You can literally stress yourself into physical problems. What I like to do is diffuse calming essential oils like Peace & Calming when I am working or at the end of the day. Citrus essential oils like Orange are calming yet they keep you alert so that you can focus and make good decisions. Because when we are stressed, our brain is not capable of making rational decisions. I also do deep breathing for a minute when I find myself getting worked up. And I get outside to sit or do a walking meditation along the river or Lake Michigan because nature has a calming effect on our nervous system.
- Sleep = Getting 8 hours of quality sleep that is not drug-induced is so important to our overall health and well-being. When your brain can naturally go into deep sleep and REM modes, your body can detox, repair and rejuvenate while you sleep. Sometimes I have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, especially during a full moon or when the energetics of the planet are heightened. My sleep protocol involves putting away technology and TV an hour before bedtime, not eating/drinking at least 2 hours before bedtime, calming essential oils in my bedside diffuser (like Clary Sage with Lavender essential oils), Frankincense on my forehead, and Progessence Plus on my wrists (every women should be using this essential oil blend).
- Nature = Being out in nature and moving is so important to our overall well-being. When you can put your bare feet on the ground our bodies soak up electrons from Earth that creates an anti-inflammatory and calming benefit. This is why I have been spending time at Lake Michigan every week since the weather warmed up. A 2012 study in the Journal of Environmental Public Health found that earthing promotes better sleep, reduces pain, reduces chronic stress, improve health disorders and create overall well-being for longevity. So whether you go outside and hug a tree or plant your feet on the ground, do this every day even just for a few minutes. And if weather prevents you from earthing, bring the earth inside with tree essential oils (like Cedarwood, Black Spruce and Blue Spruce) and grounding crystals like Black Tourmaline and Shungite.
- Supplements = Even with an organic whole food diet, we often need to supplement what we eat with vitamins, minerals and other supplements. But not all supplements are made the same. Make sure that you are taking a whole-food supplement that does not contain fillers or synthetics. I personally take essential oil-infused whole food supplements. If you want to ramp up your wellness plan, check these out:
- Vitamin A is important for a strong immune and respiratory system, and is also beneficial for vision especially since many people are spending more time online for work or staying connected to family and friends;
- Vitamin B Complex is your happy vitamin that is also beneficial for your eyes, brain, digestive health and energy;
- Vitamin C is necessary for repair of all body tissues and is beneficial for a strong immune system;
- Vitamin D3 is best taken thru Mother Sun but taking the supplement daily is also beneficial for calcium absorption for strong bones, a strong immune system to fight disease and combatting the blues;
- Zinc regulates immune function, decreases risk of age-related chronic diseases, and helps with eye health including preventing age-related macular degeneration;
- Omega 3s have been researched for supporting lung, brain and cardiovascular health as well as improving the appearance of skin, banishing the blues, improving eye health and fight inflammation;
- Turmeric & Curcumin are known for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits when combined with Black Pepper to help with absorption, beneficial for brain and cardiovascular health, and helps with depression.
- Detox your Home = We are washing our hands more often and probably cleaning our homes more often too. If you are using toxic hand soap, hand purifier and home cleaners, are you really creating a healthy and safe environment? NO! Plant-based cleaners that are FREE of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and are important to overall health. And make sure the air in your home is clean. One of the easiest things to do is to replace all plug-ins, candles and sprays with a cool-mist essential oil diffuser and diffuse therapeutic-grade pure essential oils (not fragrance oils). Also switch to plant-based cleaners. But please do not be GREEN-WASHED by the pretty green labels in the cleaner isle at the grocery store. If you look at the ingredients and see Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, don’t buy it! I use the line of Thieves products from Young Living because I understand and have researched all of the ingredients, and the essential oils naturally clean so that it’s safe for kids and pets.
- Detox Your Skincare = What you put on your skin can be as harmful as what you put in your mouth. So are you willing to ingest your skincare? Probably not unless you are using a truly toxic-free plant-based skincare product. The ingredients in almost all skincare and makeup products are frightening and IT’S LEGAL! My lawyer brain gets really angry about this topic. Because what you put on your skin leeches in to your blood stream. Understanding ingredients is really important, but also trusting the company to be honest about the ingredients is just as important. For my skin, I only use Young Living’s skincare and Savvy Minerals Makeup.
- Avoid negative people/situations = Please stop watching the news and limit your time on social media. All it does is feed your worry, promote shaming by other people and implant the idea that you have no control over your life. It was easy for me to get sucked back in to news reports when our world went crazy in March. But when I stepped away I realized that there are amazing beautiful things happening in our world right now. I also liberally use the “30 day snooze” and “unfollow” button on Facebook because I see too many friends getting sucked into negative energy. So step away from the negative people, negative situations, negative news, and if you are in a negative job we are in energy where you are being asked (and possibly forced) into reconsidering your path. Make some decisions in that regard before the decisions are made for you.
- Daily Self-Care & Fun = It is important that you do things every day to feed your soul. I did an entire yearlong series on The Year of You Self-Care in 2018 because self-care is not getting a mani-pedi or massage. Self-care is nurturing your inner self and soul to evolve and is only something you can do. And if you don’t do it, no one else can. So create a morning/daily ritual of what feeds your soul. For me, it’s the 3 Ms: meditation (sometimes a walking meditation, laying in a crystal grid, or learning the art of surrender which is so hard for me), movement and mindfulness where I journal and visualize my day rather than letting my day smash me around. But it’s also about having fun. As we adult, it is too easy to be filled with responsibilities, concerns and worry. And our to-do list will never be completed. Taking time daily to do something fun for you will feed your inner self. For me it’s either time with friends, time at Lake Michigan or tending to my fairy garden.
Do you need help?
Sometimes it can be difficult to get started when it comes to changing long-term habits. This is where I can help get you started and keep you on track. As a Certified Health Coach, Certified Energy Healer Master-Teacher, and Certified Life Coach, I can guide you in the best path for you. If you would like a complimentary 15-minute call to see if working together is a good fit, please click here to get scheduled.
I also host in-person events and online classes multiple times a month. Have you attended one? Each is filled with lifestyle techniques and natural methods to help you regain the healthiest part of YOU! And be sure to check-in daily on my Facebook and Instagram pages for helpful ways to naturally stay well and Energy Check-in videos when I sense that the energetics are strong and impactful.
You have more power and control than you think and I hope you resonate with a few of the ideas that I have shared.